Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 23

Day 23: A Book You Say That You've Finished (but that's a big fat lie)

Well this should be fun.  Usually I'm pretty up front about my inability to finish a book (see: Confederacy of Dunces).  Gianna lies about everything, though.  I actually think she might be illiterate.

Gianna:
Well I may have “implied” to some people that I finished this book. But I want to stress that those people who it really mattered to--and you people know who you are--I never said I finished this book. In fact I was pretty  honest (i.e. incredibly honest) about this book. So not only did I not finish this book (and I want to say that I didn’t not finish it because I couldn’t, or because I had too many other things to read for work), I didn’t finish this book because I just really did not want to (I am being nice). But it was on my “must reads” for work so a bit of a charade went on (more of a don’t ask don’t tell).  So what I did, because I sort of did want to know how it ended, I made my friend Colleen Devine read it. I do that a lot. I say, “Colleen, taste this… it's horrible”, or “does this smell bad?”, or “does it hurt when I push this bruise?” We have that relationship. If you don’t have that friend, I urge you to drop what you are doing (Hey, wait a minute! Keep reading our blog! Your life depends on it!) and go get one; they are most excellent. Anyway, she did me a total solid and read it and filled me in on the latter half of the book...which she enjoyed as much as much as I had enjoyed the first half, by the way.  I feel bad naming the book so I won’t. Just kidding, you can’t like ‘em all so I don’t feel bad. Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel. I know… you all just loved it.

Liz:

That "Infinite" certainly
sums it up well.
I lived in Austin, and I worked at the cool kids' bookstore, and I may have suggested to a few people that I finished Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.  But that period (the lying about it) only lasted for a couple of weeks.  I realized that I didn't care if I wasn't a pseudo hipster and that I have better things to do than read endless footnotes.  I don't hate David Foster Wallace, but he's definitely not my thing either.  I guess I don't understand the cultish DFW worship.  I'm fine with that, too.